Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Biblio.com

Thing Eighteen

At first, I wanted to again explore The LibraryThing, but since I had already blogged about it in Thing 17, I decided to branch out and chose Biblio.com. It is an online source for used, rare, and out-of-print books and textbooks. One can search by subject categories or browse many online bookstores. Biblio offers books and shipping at an economical price, and for those who are concerned about the environment the packaging is eco-friendly. This marketplace supports the community businesses and works toward "fostering education and literacy." As for its applicable use in a library, I wish I had known about this site several years ago. A friend and I spent a lot of time searching online and at bookstores for an out-of-print book for use in her classroom. She and her husband are still browsing bookstores for chemistry and physics books. I will definitely share this tool with them and use it to help me find discarded, worn-out books that students and teachers love but are out-of-publication.

No comments: