Thursday, January 17, 2008

Is It the End or Only the Beginning?

This has definitely been a learning journey for me. Like Book Maid stated, I also feel as if I have completed a Master's Thesis. Instead of twenty-three "fifteen-minute projects," some have been very time-consuming and frustrating. My favorite discoveries were the image generators, the LibraryThing, and Zoho Writer, which I will definitely share with some of the students. I particularly enjoyed the LibraryThing because I can read updates on new books, and I can read reviews and recommendations from other book lovers.

Twenty-three things would surely be a lifelong learning goal for me because my "life" is not spending day and night on a computer. I did learn a lot from this discovery journey and can see a use for many of the applications I have learned.

Surprisingly, I never thought I would be creating a web page much less a blog. I have learned many technology skills, some taking forever to complete, and some I completed quickly. I have even shared several of the "things" with friends, teachers, and students.

To improve the program, the override needs to be eliminated. If these tools are implemented at
school, there needs to be an easier way to get around these blocked sites and the district filter.
I soon discovered arriving early at school or staying late was wasting my time. Too many of the applications could not be successfully completed at work.

I would probably participate in another discovery program like this in the future. Hopefully, then I will receive the PGH. My next forty-five hours will not begin until August 2008, and I have definitely earned the hours through this program. I know that I have spent far more than eighteen hours on these exercises.

As for its influence on me as a school librarian, the journey has opened my eyes to the vast amount of technological tools available. I have already been sharing some of these tools with others and hope to continue. Some I will continue to use and others will probably be forgotten or referred to at a later date. For sure, I have gained a little more confidence in myself with computers and usage of technological applications.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Congrats! You didn't give up even through the frustrations. I'm glad you're sharing your new tools with others. It seems I really get a better grasp of a tool or "thing" if I teach it to someone else. What was your color?

CoolLibrarian said...

I think sharing what we have learned is so important. Even if we are not experts, we can help students and teachers use technology in more meaningful ways in the classroom.

SBTVD said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the SBTVD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://sbtvd.blogspot.com. A hug.